The Foundations of Invasive Species (FIS) Management Certificate Course is an asynchronous, professional, online course that was created to provide you with a well-rounded basis in invasive species management. Experts from the North American Invasive Species Management Association (NAISMA) have carefully curated this content just for you!
This asynchronous course consists of sequenced video presentations, along with supplemental materials for in-depth learning and assessment. Video presentations are curated from NAISMA’s exclusive webinar library, plus past conference presentations and original new content that can only be seen inside of FIS. There are fourteen segments in this course with multiple learning pieces included in each. Plus, we included the entire NAISMA Mapping Standards short course as a bonus for you!
$397 for NAISMA members or $497 for non-members.
The learning segments included in FIS course are:
- Welcome and Instructions
- Introduction to Invasive Species
- Agencies and Organizations
- Advocacy and Policy
- Aquatic Nuisance Species
- Injurious Wildlife
- Insects and Pests
- Noxious Weeds
- Early Detection and Rapid Response
- Mapping and Data Management
- How to Implement the NAISMA Mapping Standards – BONUS!
- Education and Outreach
- Climate Change and Invasive Species
All individuals are expected to move in order through each FIS lesson or assessment by reading the information, watching each video in its entirety, and exploring the supplemental learning options (e.g. reading publications, conducting activities, or reviewing websites). Participants can go back and rewatch videos, as needed.
After completing this course, participants will have an understanding and be able to describe:
- what an invasive species is and the characteristics that make them problematic
- the agencies and organizations involved in invasive species management
- key pieces of legislation and policies that are relevant to invasive species
- how to advocate within their community and to their elected officials
- aquatic invasive species
- injurious wildlife
- insects and pests