In 2022, NAISMA is searching for five new board members. We are an international 501(c)3 nonprofit focused on providing support, resources, and materials to invasive species managers, professionals, and practitioners across North America. We offer several exciting programs, campaigns, and professional development opportunities to the invasive species practitioner community. Our organization has undergone some big changes in the last year, including bringing on our new Executive Director and planning our first in-person conference in two years, and we are excited to showcase and share these transformational changes with the world!
It’s that time of year when we start recruiting for new board members to serve a three-year term. We are currently seeking a variety of backgrounds, locations, expertise, and skillsets. It’s important to us that we have a mix of experts by taxa in invasive species management (e.g., terrestrial weeds, animals, tree pests, and aquatic invasive species), location (ideally a healthy mix from across the U.S., Canada, and Mexico), and now we’re very interested in recruiting some new board members with expertise in law, finance/accounting, conservation, and communications who have an interest in natural resource issues. If you fit one or more of these categories, we would sure like to see your nomination form this year! We’ll have five available vacancies come November.
One of my favorite things about NAISMA is the amazing connections I’ve made with great people that work in a variety of invasive species prevention and management capacities. We learn from each other, take steps to grow the organization in new and innovative ways, and provide key resources to our practitioners around North American and beyond. For example, my background is in aquatic invasive species and water quality, but other board members are entomologists, county weed managers, professors, extension agents, and more!
To be considered for a board position, follow these steps:
- Make sure that you have the time, capacity, and support to serve. We currently have 4-6 board meetings per year. We have one in-person board meeting during our annual conference, which we hope you can attend, and all the rest are virtual. Each meeting is two hours, with required reading in advance. Board members are expected to serve on one or more committees as well. Additionally, foundations and grants often ask if all board members donate to the organization. We are aiming for 100% board participation in charitable giving to NAISMA at whatever dollar amount feels meaningful to you. This could also include your agency or organization sponsoring an event or joining as a partner. Reflect on your availability before you nominate yourself for a board position.
- Learn more about us! Explore NAISMA.ORG and request a call with myself or our Executive Director to learn more about the organization. Let’s see if you would be a good fit!
- All nominees must be NAISMA members in good standing, so if you are interested in serving but not currently a member, make sure you sign up for an individual, professional or organizational membership today.
- Fill out the NAISMA board nomination form.
- Record a short (3-5 minute) introduction video about yourself, your background, interests, and skills that you would bring to the board. Send it to when you send in your nomination form or shortly thereafter.
- If possible, join us for our IN-PERSON annual conference in Fort Myers, Florida Nov 7-10. NAISMA membership will vote on new board members at the Annual General Meeting on Tuesday, November 8th. Limited hotel spots remain, so please consider making arrangements today.
- The deadline for nominations is October 14, 2022 at 5 p.m. CT.
Thank you so much for your interest in our organization! Feel free to reach out to me via for more information or with questions to make a difference in the invasive species community today.
President, North American Invasive Species Management Association